Saturday, November 8, 2014

Kickstarter Project 1 week in

Hi folks,
 I'm in awe of just how crazy this whole kickstarter project has become. Crazy in a good way, as in 'may you live in interesting times'... they're interesting all right.

My backers have absolutely blown any and all of my hopes and expectations away. I truly thought I would fund in 30 days, and I only was asking for $1000. I figured I'd get a small drum sander, pay for some wood to make the boards for the project, cover my shipping and call it even/good.



note how incredibly steep the progression is. I'm on day 9 of 30 as I type this. *gulp*

I keep telling myself that there is no such thing as too much success. This may change my way of thinking by the end of it.

I should say that I'm very happy, bordering on giddy that the project has done this well. I'm guardedly optimistic that this may well be that niche market that everyone hopes to find.

I've been working on formalizing designs for my boards, including several quilt themed boards, my sketchup skills aren't all that great, but this should give my backers (and my readers here) an idea:

This is one that I had in my mind, and this is almost what I thought of. It was my first sketchup model attempt, and things are a little off... When I showed a version of it to Lori, she tore it to shreds... I'm sticking to my guns, this is 'close' to what I had in mind when I posted the reward tier. I call it the 6 block quilt design.
It has a 9-patch, card trick block, a log cabin, flying geese plus two filler blocks I just threw in there. More on the top right one in a bit.
homage to Frank Lloyd Wright

This sketch is extremely early in the design of what I hope to be a very fancy board.  I'm a fan of the great architect Frank Lloyd Wright. and this is my first attempt to pay Homage to his work. This one has a long ways to go.

Flying Geese
This is roughly what I'm planning for the flying geese boards, both the coaster size on the left and the 12" by 12" one.

 This is my take on the classic quilt block the Log Cabin. The darkest wood would be either Walnut or rosewood, the next lighter in, cherry, the center is paduak and then maple and finally butternut on the lower right.

This block was initially just a filler for the 6 block sketch. I threw it in there when my wife shared her thoughts on a really rough sketch. I zapped the bad parts and reworked things, this was one of the designs I came up with. I haven't decided if I'm going to put it on the kickstarter project yet. but I thought I'd discuss it here.

The overall dimensions here are 12" x 12", and the wood progression as shown here would be Walnut in the lower left a mere 3/8 x 3/8" block, wrapped in paduak at 3/8 wide by 3/4 across. that is in turn wrapped with 3/4 x 1 1/2 in of butternut, then 1 1/2 of cherry, 3" of Maple and finally 6" of Ash.

the first three, will be single board widths on end, then from there on it will be a lamination of several boards, especially the ash section. This sketch shows the tonal progression. I think no matter what, I'll be making at least one of these in the future.

Thanks for checking in!

If you haven't already, please look at my kickstarter campaign: Artisan Boards by Ned:
Follow me on Twitter: @Artisanboards
Look me up on Facebook where I run Artisan BoardsofCNY
I can be reached at artisanboards@gmail.com as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment